Skin Brushing - 3 Health Benefits & Tips on How to do it Right
Strange as it sounds, brushing our skin is a beneficial practice because; not only does it help improve skin quality by removing dead skin cells, it also helps to support the lymphatic system.
OK, but how will it improve my Health?
1. The Lymphatic System
The lymphatic system helps to eliminate toxins and waste products from the body via a network of tissues and organs. Primary it operates as transportation system for a fluid called lymph which contains white blood cells to fight infections in various locations within the body.
Unlike the circulatory system, where blood is moved by the heart pumping, lymphatic fluid is circulated with the movement of muscles. Therefore low activity can have an negative effect on the immune system because of delayed white blood cell circulation to potential areas of infection.
Dry Skin Brushing will help to move lymphatic fluid to help support immune function and elimination of toxins and waste products.
How can I tell if my lymph isn't circulating well?
Lymph can pool in the tissues causing oedema (swelling from fluid), which can be identified by indentations left on a limb upon pressure being applied with a finger.
2. Exfoliation improves skin quality
By applying a natural bristle brush to your skin in a light and even pressure you will loosen and remove dead skin making way for softer new skin cells underneath. This process when done before your morning shower, will help unblock skin pores, follicles and stimulate glands improving their functional role protecting the skin. Brushing will provide a stronger skin integrity to prevent bacterial or fungal infections from broken dry skin breakage.
Moisturise after the shower with a light cream so that pores are not blocked.
Your skin will feel softer, pores will be smaller and your skin will have a health fresh glow!
How quickly can I see results?
3. Brushing helps to clear out all the Junk Boosting your Energy & Vitality!
By encouraging fresh blood flow to the skin and stimulating lymph flow the body is able to clear away any toxins. These products may be hanging around in the tissues or lymph fluid as a result of dealing with inflammation and bacterial or viral infections.
You will feel more energetic and vital with every Dry Skin Brushing.
Things to remember before you brush
* Don't brush on skin that is infected, damaged or skin that is affected by eczema, psoriasis or dermatitis.
* Start with a softer brush as skin may be sensitive at first, as you adapt you may like a firmer bristle. You can also brush your face but use a smaller brush with a soft bristle.
* Having a brush with a long handle will help you reach areas on your back. You may want to get a few different sizes and shapes to cover all areas of the body.
* Always brush from the feet towards the heart, and from the fingers towards the heart, face and neck towards the heart to follow the flow of the circulatory system.
* If you have a cardiovascular issue speak to your Dr or practitioner to get advise.
If you are feeling lethargic, heavy and toxic and looking to use this as part of a cleansing routine, you will definitely see an improvement in your energy and overall well-being.
Deficiency of nutrients in the Diet can also be a big part of why you feel toxic, tired, low in energy and motivation. If you would like some help setting out a Detox/Vitality Program that will get you feeling great again, I am here to help! :)
Want help with your health? Call me on 0422 677 508 for a nutritional medicine appointment to get you on your path to wellness.